Friday, April 6, 2012

Visa? Yes, No, Maybe.

This weekend I took what turned out to be a completely unnecessary field trip to the French Compound Embassy in Washington, D.C. Even though the French Embassy's website seems to indicate that US nationals do not need a visa for an internship in France, there were questions about whether my stipend would put me into a visa-needing category, whether I would get *bothered* at the border, etc. So, I was told by my hosting law firm, and several other people that I would either need a visa to do an internship in France, or that I should just get one anyways to eliminate potential border hassle.

Also, the French Embassy's website is intimidating/snobby/huffy? in a stereotypically French way. Somewhere it says something like: "Do not call us. If you have a question, read the website. If you call and have a question that is answered on the website we will hang up on you, idiot." It's much more authentic if you imagine someone saying that in English with a hardy French accent. "Eef you have a kesteeon, read zee website," if you will.

I did not call.

So, I made an appointment to get my visa - in person, no applications by mail for the French - this past Friday. I spent the better part of a few weeks (vague estimate, I know) gathering my documents, making photocopies of everything on the visa-getting website and arranging a little yellow file for myself with all this stuff. I even had a little lodging contract...in French and English. Holla.

I arrive a bit early at the Compound Embassy, enter through the rather imposing gate surrounding the several buildings that make up the Embassy, hand over my license and get an attractive little badge to wear. I go to the visa building and start skimming a promo magazine put out by the Embassy. Minutes later, my name is called over the loudspeaker and I head up to glass window #2. A visa officer asks for my passport, visa application, and little passport photo. I pass them through the glass and start arranging my handy yellow file on the shelf in front of the glass partition.

Then, the officer starts muttering in French. I think he's talking to me and so I look up expectantly, and eloquently say, "Huh?" He ignores me. I realize he has a headset thing on and is talking to someone else entirely. Noticing my presence, he asks me what I'm going to be doing in France. I say that I have an internship.

Magically, a lady appears over his shoulder and proclaims, "You do not need a visa for internship. Paid, unpaid, you do not need a visa."

I reply, "Oh, my employer seems to think that I do. Should I get one just in case?"

Visa Woman says, "No. The rules changed recently. You do not need a visa." She doesn't seem to get why I might want one anyways, and it appears that my appointment is over. I receive my documents back and apologize for the confusion and shuffle out of the building, head hanging, dismissed by the Visa Officers.

Also, she didn't have that strong of an accent, but for some reason whenever I tell this story now she does, in my head. Much like the website.

SO, went to the Supreme Court and bought souvenirs instead. Aaaand got my FIRST EVER SPEEDING TICKET on the way to Baltimore (where my dad and step-mom are, and where I stayed for the weekend), so in terms of $$$, I probably came out even.

No comments:

Post a Comment